Sunday, March 22, 2015

Viajitos y comida... ¡Otra vez!


And just like that, it's been two weeks without a post!  Whoops!  The past two weeks have varied from super-boring to amazingly fun, so I'll just hop over a few highlights :)


Since my last post, I have
- tried to figure out the Mexican postal system
Pop-up mountains!
- avoided going out in the rain
- read a few books
- learned about local music and its history
- found the perfect café (for coffee, dessert, studying, chatting, etc.)
- avoided going out in the rain
- revisited el Museo de Antropología and learned sooo much more
- made a mistake and ordered a chamoyada
- tried not to gain too much weight eating all of this amazing food
- spent a day at the beach with friends
- went to a great concert by the Orquesta Sinfónica de Xalapa
- and said, "See you later!" to one of my best friends here in Xalapa.

I promise I won't go into too much detail on all of these points, but there are a few which deserve some space! First of all, the weather. Though I have found Xalapa to be generally pleasant, the almost constant rain of the past few weeks has gotten old. Fortunately there have been scattered days of full sunshine, so I really can't complain.

The Mexican postal system, on the other hand, is kind of a funny story! When I went to Puebla, I finally found some postcards to send home to friends and family. However, when I went to mail them, the post office was out of normal-sized stamps. So I bought the big ones, and mailed what I could. Unfortunately, for some of the postcards the big stamps wouldn't work, as they covered up the address! After waiting for a week, I went back to get some small stamps... But there still weren't any! Confused (I work in a law firm stateside, so I go to the PO a fair bit), I asked when I could come back and find normal stamps. "Oh, I don't know, maybe next week, maybe in two weeks, or three... We don't really know when we'll get more," was the response. Oh. Okay. (Three weeks later and I still haven't gotten smaller stamps!)


I'll try to keep this food section short - I just can't resist. I think I could go up three sizes while I'm here if I'm not careful! However, I have found a drink that, while not the worst thing I've ever had, is not something I want to repeat. The chamoyada. Made of a strawberry smoothie based in vinegar, with added tamarind and chile powder, this drink is not for the faint at heart. If only I had known... I mindlessly ordered the drink, and off-handedly turned down the waiter's concern and offer to replace it with something else after I tried it.


I'm not going to lie: it was bad. However, I did figure out how to drink it and make it palatable, so I managed to finish it! With that experience behind me, though, I don't think I'll be going back. I will, however, be going back to that café! It's called Cafe Lagos, and is located on a street corner in a charmingly decorated apartment, complete with tall windows, eclectic art, cozy armchairs, great service, incredible brownies, and fantastic coffee! It feels very old-world European style, and the prices can't be beat, either.

I have now spent a few afternoons in this restaurant, with friends or alone, and have found it to be a perfect place for anything. I read most of my book for literature there last week, and I enjoy journaling there, too. Speaking of school work, in my México Contemporáneo class we spent a few periods studying traditional music local to the Veracruz region of Mexico, specifically a son jarrocho. We will be returning to the topic later this week, so be on the lookout for a blog about the son and dance soon (har-de-harr-harr) :)


Last Wednesday we had a random day off of school, so a few of my school friends and I decided to go to the beach! Villarica is a tiny little pueblo about an hour and a half from Xalapa, and it was the perfect quick trip. The water was freezing in my opinion, but with the sun out and a nice breeze, the day was perfect for relaxing on the beach with a good book. We had lunch at a hidden little restaurant which served delicious empanadas, and ended our afternoon hiking up a little mountain/big hill to look out over the ocean on one side and this amazing country on the other. I am constantly surprised by the geography here! As I hope you can see in these pictures, mountains here have a tendency to just appear out of nowhere... Once you get past the weirdness of it, it's quite beautiful!

Isn't it absolutely beautiful?

These past two months here would not have been the same if not for my dear friend, Lindita. I met her the first week I was here, and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know her and spending time exploring Xalapa with her! As her time in Xalapa came to a close, we went to the Museo de Antropología and Parque Natura together last weekend. As the only ones who came to the Museo around tour time (11-11:30ish), we basically got a free private tour of the museum, which was fantastic! I got so much more out of the trip, and it felt much more relaxed than the time before. We didn't get to spend a ton of time in Parque Natura, but I enjoyed "hiking" a bit and checking out the coffee plants :) For our last big event, this past Friday Lindita, Jared (Lindi's novio), and I went to a concert by the Orquesta Sinfónica de Xalapa, which presented Vivaldi's Las Cuatro Estaciones.


It was a wonderful concert, and the lead violinist, Mikhail Medvid, was fabulous. If you are ever in Xalapa with the chance to go to an OSX concert, don't miss out! I will always treasure these memories of fun times with friends here in Xalapa. Saying goodbye is never fun, but thanks to today's technology it doesn't really have to mean goodbye ;)  Safe travels, and Dios te bendiga, Lindita! Nos vemos :)



No comments:

Post a Comment